In Part 1 of this article series, I discussed some major changes that were made to Triple H’s former training style. Hopefully it provided everyone with a general idea of how Triple H’s training now differs and the rationale behind the changes. Now that everyone has somewhat of an idea behind my general training philosophy (as it pertains to Triple H); it’s time to reveal Triple H’s pre-Wrestlemania programming. This article will provide you with an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at the exact workouts performed by Triple H during the week leading up to Wrestlemania XXVIII!
Not for Everyone…
I wanted to provide somewhat of a “disclaimer” before unveiling Triple H’s weekly plan. First of all – when reading this article – please keep in mind that I’ve been working with Triple H for almost two years. The training week that you’re about to read is not easy…and it’s certainly not for everyone! (No two people respond exactly the same to the same stimulus.) This “pre-Wrestlemania” training cycle was the culmination of two years of rehabbing, overcoming imbalances, improving soft tissue quality, mastering the techniques of special exercises and progressive increases in strength, power and work capacity. In other words, Triple H worked his ass off in order to build the foundation necessary to perform these workouts. Simply put; if you’re an “average Joe”…DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME!
NOTE: You’ll notice that Wednesday represents “Day 1” in this program. This is not a typo. We start our training week on Wednesday because it’s Triple H’s first full day home after being on the road for the filming of WWE’s TV shows – ‘Monday Night RAW’ and ‘SMACKDOWN’!
ROAD TO WRESTLEMANIA: THE WORKOUTS
Purpose = Increase energy levels after traveling / Serves as “primer” for the intense PM workout / General Conditioning
Push prowler for 30 yards at 75% intensity. Once you reach the 30 yard mark, perform 10 push-ups. Rest 20-30 seconds. Push prowler back to starting point, then perform 10 band pull-aparts. Rest 20-30 seconds. Repeat this process for 15-20 minutes.
Purpose = Improve Upper Body Strength / Increase Neural Drive / Muscle-Building
The Game’s UPPER BODY WARM-UP
2A. Weighted Push-ups, neutral hand positioning (80lbs. chain on back): 15, 15, Max Reps
2B. Underhand Mini Band Pull-aparts: 35, 35, 30
3A. Bent-over DB Rows (heavy): 3 x 8 each arm
3B. Jungle Gym Face Pull + External Rotation: 3 x 12
4A. Single Arm Dumbell Shrugs (non-working hand behind back): 3 x 8, hold each contraction for 2sec.
4B. Side-Lying Lateral Raise on Incline Bench (w/ Fat Gripz): 3 x 12 each arm
Purpose = Increase Upper Body Power / Aerobic & Anaerobic Conditioning
Hit punch mits using various combinations for five, 5-minute rounds. Rest 60 seconds between each round.
Purpose = Improve Lower Body Strength & Power / Increase Neural Drive / Muscle-Building / Balance & Dynamic Flexibility
The Game’s LOWER BODY WARM-UP
1A. Barbell Box Squats: 6 sets of 3 w/ 80% 1RM
1B. Box Jumps: 6 sets of 3-5 jumps
[The pairing of exercises “1A” & “1B” is referred to as Transfer Training. With this training method, we’re attempting to “excite” the Fast-Twitch, Type IIB muscle fibers (with the heavy squats) and then “transfer” this heightened state into a synchronized activity (jumping). This results in higher, more explosive jumps due to a phenomenon referred to as Post-Activation Potentiation. When performed correctly, this technique results in major increases in power. I incorporated this method into Triple H’s program during the final 3 weeks of preparation in order to peak for Wrestlemania.]
*Speaking of increased Power; check out the pic below. Have you ever seen someone pick up the Undertaker completely off the ground while locked in his “Gates of Hell” submission hold?…
Now you have …
2. Barbell Bulgarian Split Squats (chain-suspended weight): 3 x 8 each leg
3A. Barbell Hip Thrusts (*feet ABducted & externally rotated): 3 x 10
3B. Core Statics – Lateral Shuffles (anti-rotation): 3 x 5 each way
Boxing & Restoration
-Hit punch mits using various combinations for five, 5-minute rounds. Rest 60 seconds between each round.
-90 minutes of Fascial Stretch Therapy and Active Release Technique.
Purpose = Strength / Hypertrophy / Aesthetics
*Same warm-up as Wednesday.
1. Blackburns (on floor), 4 positions: 15sec. iso-hold each position, holding 5lb. plates (2 sets)
2. Swiss Bar “6/6/6” Press: 2 work sets
3A. Cable Crossover: 5 x 8-12
3B. Jungle Gym Rear Delt Flyes: 5 x 10-12
4. 3-Way “Shoulder Shocker”: 3 x 24 (8 reps each exercise)
Purpose = Bridge the Gap from traditional weight room strength to “in-ring”, functional strength / Anaerobic Conditioning
*Perform Lower Body Warm-up, then conclude with 2×15 Push-up Plus, 2×15 Band-Pull-aparts, 1×10 Band “Shoulder Dislocations”.
Pre-Workout Neural Activation – Medicine Ball Scoop Toss for height: 2 x 5 throws (15lb. ball)
1. Timed 500lb. Tire Flips: 4 x 5 flips (as fast as possible)
2. Zig-Zag Farmers Walks (175lbs. in each hand): 3 x 50 yards
3. Heavy Prowler Push/Sprint: 10 x 10 yards
4. Seated Hand-over-Hand Sled Pull (w/ 30-foot rope): 3 sets
5. Battle Ropes (various moves): 30sec. on, 30sec. off. 3X
*Finished by performing Stability Ball “Stir the Pot” Planks (forearms on ball, feet elevated on tire) and crunches. 2 supersets of 20 reps each.
MONDAY – TV/Travel Day
Optional “Hotel” Band Workout
Purpose = Improve ‘weak points’ and speed recovery while on the road with a quick/practical workout.
If Triple H wakes up feeling sore and/or “tight”, he performs the following workout in order to increase blood flow. He always feels better after performing this “extra” workout while on the road:
TUESDAY – TV/Travel Day
- NUTRITION – Triple H’s strength, conditioning and single-digit bodyfat percentage would not be possible without his attention to detail regarding his nutrition. Even with his insane work and travel schedule, you will be hard-pressed to ever find Triple H cheating on his diet while at work or on the road. He has been working with renowned nutrition specialist, Dave Palumbo, for many years and it shows in his strength, energy levels and physique! Anyone who is familiar with Dave Palumbo knows that he’s a big believer in the Keto Diet. If you think it’s impossible to perform at a high level while on this diet you’re sorely mistaken. Triple H is living proof that this type of diet can be applicable to athletes. (Dave and Triple H will be addressing this topic in an interview and/or article very soon!)
- CONSISTENCY / DEDICATION – I may be the guy that designs Triple H’s workouts, but a good workout “on paper” doesn’t mean sh*t unless the person performing the workout believes in it and consistently gives it 100%! I can tell you first-hand that you won’t find a more dedicated person than Triple H. It would be very easy for a guy like him to make excuses, miss workouts, cheat on his diet, etc. But, instead of finding excuses, he finds a way to get the job done! Most people would be shocked to hear that we train at 10:00pm until midnight most of the time…they also aren’t aware of the painful injuries that Triple H has sustained during his legendary career…and I’m sure they have no clue that Triple H only gets 1-2 hours of sleep most nights when traveling. For example, here’s an ‘inside look’ at Triple H’s Wednesday schedule: Arrive home from filming SMACKDOWN around 4:00am >> Take a “nap” for about an hour (if he’s lucky) >> Wake up around 6:00am in order to spend time with his kids before he leaves for work >> Head to the office early so he can get his first workout in >> Work a minimum of an 8-10 hour day at the office >> Rush home to put his kids to bed >> Perform a max-effort upper body lifting session while the rest of the world is sleeping. Please remember Triple H’s schedule next time you convince yourself that you “don’t have enough time” to workout and get in shape. I can go on and on about Triple H’s “less-than-optimal” schedule and injury history, but my point is this: Instead of complaining, Triple H adapts and perseveres through adversity — always finding a way to get the job done! THAT’S why he’s successful, and THAT’S a major reason why this program produced the results it did.
Built like a Badass ebook: This is THE blueprint for building a muscular, strong, athletic physique! NO fancy equipment required…NO need to hire an expensive personal trainer! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Super Strength DVD: Learn how to organize your strength training workouts using the Russian Conjugate Periodization Method.
AMPED Warm-up DVD: A proper warm-up is essential for superhuman strength, health and performance. Learn from the best-selling warm-up system in the world!
POWER! DVD: Everything you need to know in order to become an explosive, athletic beast! Over 90 exercises!
EXTREME DVD: Build incredible strength & stability and never have a boring workout again! Over 130 Never-Before-Seen exercises!
HARD:CORE DVD: Revolutionary Core Training! Over 260 exercises!
Please leave me your feedback and/or questions regarding this article in the comments section below. (I will address the most commonly asked questions in an upcoming ASK JOE blog post.)