10 Ways to Spot a Bad Personal Trainer
Released on September 17, 2015
In this weeks podcast, Joe exposes the bad coaches and personal trainers that infest the fitness industry! After listening to this weeks show, you’ll be able to tell the difference between the professionals and the wanna-bees.
Here’s a sneak peak at what you’ll hear Joe talk about…
Joe D’s Top 10 Ways to Spot a Bad Personal Trainer
- They don’t perform an initial assessment or get your medical history
- They don’t care about YOUR goals…They push THEIR goals on you
- They don’t design you a “progressive program”…they just “put you through random workouts”
- They NEVER chart your workouts or write anything down
- They don’t start each session by asking appropriate questions like: “How’d you feel after our last workout”, “When was your last meal?”, “How was your day?”, “Did you sleep well last night?”, etc.
- They base the success of your workouts on how “tired” you are at the end…or how many times you puked
- They complain to YOU about their long hours, marital problems, etc.
- All their clients do the same, cookie-cutter program (No progressions or regressions)
- They focus on “cheerleading” & “rep-counting” during your sets, instead of correcting your form and/or giving coaching cues
- They text or talk on their cell phone during your training session
NOTE: Joe wanted everyone to know that he had MANY more things to add to the list, but he was pressed for time. Hopefully these 10 items are enough to help you separate the good from the bad 🙂
Important Links from the Show
- Certified Physical Preparation Specialist (CPPS)GET CERTIFIED and become a true professional in the strength & conditioning and/or personal training industry. *If you're interested in HIRING a trainer/coach, you can also use this link to FIND someone in your area who is CPPS-certified.
Thanks for listening!
Do you have feedback, questions or suggestions for the podcast?
Click here to send us feedback
Wanna become a SPONSOR? Click here to get started
Like the show? If you LIKED the show, we would truly appreciate it if you can take 60 seconds to give us “5 Stars” and write a short review (1-2 sentences is fine) on iTunes. We appreciate it!
-The Industrial Strength Show team
Awesome podcast! I wish you guys stayed up here in NJ instead of moving to TX. Would have definitely checked you guys out in Wyckoff…
This is one of my favorite episodes! Unfortunately I go to a gym (health club) where the “personal trainers” wear bright red shirts that say “Personal Trainer” and they do most if not all of these things, and ask a shit ton of money for their services.. (I don’t use them though lol)
Awesome episode! Right on point. I really enjoyed #3 – so many trainers put their clients through random workouts based on whatever the flavor of the month is at the time. This needs to change!! I forwarded the link to this show to my buddy who manages a 24hr Fitness. Just trying to do my part and spread the gospel of Joe D ha! Keep doing your thing coach. Love every episode, please keep em coming!!
Amazing artwork at the top of the page lol. Joe D you are one funny dude